Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Meals

I think I am a pretty good wife and mom. I have my weaknesses...we all do. I am even pretty sure that I know what most of them are, I just have not figured out how to fix them all...we never do. It is life...we strive to grow and do the best we can. I am not beating myself up about it...just acknowledging that these weaknesses are there. One of my big weak areas...meal planning and execution. HATE it...did I mention I hate it?! I feel totally inadequate when it comes to meal planning. We are trying to eat healthy, well balanced meals but this has never been my strong suit...EVER. It is overwhelming to me. There are too many options and the slate is too blank. I feel particularly delinquent when it comes to breakfast and lunches for my kids. I don't eat breakfast and do not thrive in the early hours of the day. One of my kids eats a HUGE breakfast and the other is more like me and does not need much until lunch. I need to figure out better breakfast options for the girl. That kid can put away some breakfast and thus, the options need to be healthy and filling. She does not eat much lunch, so I am not entirely worried about her consumption, but she tends to be built more like her daddy and she is a girl...and she is MY girl, so I worry about her developing issues related to food and body image...and it won't help that the boy favors my side of the family and can eat anything he wants and never gain a pound...he is actually frustrated that he cannot make the scale go up. So funny. Anyhoo...I need someone to just come in and say, "Make this, this and this," and leave me recipes and grocery lists. Yeah...it is a total fantasy...but I can dream, can't I? Okay...the boy and I are off to the store to buy some random groceries that I don't know how to turn into a decent meal. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

One of the things I used to do was list the following: Beef, beef, chicken, pork, fish, vegetarian, optional. Then I'd plan meals to fit each category. Sometimes optional was ordering pizza or eating out, and sometimes optional was a homemade meal. But it at least provided a framework and varied the menu by default. I know this has been a longstanding struggle for you... good luck!